There is no question that the United States suffers from massive infrastructure challenges. These structural deficiencies are putting Americans at a competitive disadvantage. Improvements to America's roads, airports, seaports and electric grid are clearly warranted, and will help stimulate economic activity. But how will we get there?
UBS Wealth Management Americas presents a new report, titled “Revitalizing America: Engaging civic capital for US infrastructure. " The piece explores the state of our infrastructure environment today and surfaces some of the more effective ways policymakers might work together and with multi-sector stakeholders to address our most pressing needs.
- We envision a multi-pronged approach for harvesting the growing base of capital in sustainable investments, environmental finance, impact investing, and other investment communities around the globe.
- To effectively engage civic capital, an infrastructure program will need clearly defined goals, concrete deliverables, effective measures of success, and tangible payoffs for investors.
- Government spending should prioritize areas where social benefits far outweigh the available return on investment and review current programs for opportunities to engage complementary private capital on existing projects.
- It will be essential to consider mechanisms for applying leverage to expand the impact of each dollar invested.
- Talk to your UBS Financial Advisor to better understand the challenges and future vision for modernizing our nation's infrastructure.
Assessing the needs, establishing the priorities, and identifying the funding sources for future infrastructure projects are necessary but not sufficient steps for driving innovation, raising productivity and improving living conditions. Elected officials, policymakers, business leaders, civic leaders and investors will need to work jointly in determining the most effective way of leveraging civic capital for optimum impact.
What will an increased investment in America's infrastructure mean? Together we can find an answer. Connect with your UBS Financial Advisor or find one.