A Donor-Advised Foundation is a simple way to build your own charitable fund from which you can make donations, or grants, to UK registered and exempt charities such as universities.
It allows you to take advantage of current potential tax benefits of giving to charity. It also gives you the option of making grants now or of building a long term fund to create a lasting legacy.
A donor-advised foundation has none of the complexity or cost of setting up your own private charitable foundation.
The UBS UK Donor-Advised Foundation explained
Tom Hall, Head of Philanthropy Services UK explains more about the benefits.
The DAF enables you to have a cost effective and truly flexible way to donate to your favourite charities.
Whether you want to give money away now or grow the capital for giving away later, your DAF can be managed simply and effectively.
Setting up an account is easy, any UK resident and domiciled tax payer, be they an individual or a company can open a charitable account so long as you have a UBS account too. It is possible to open a UBS account and choose to only hold assets in the DAF account.
All grants must be made to UK registered charities and exempt charities. The trustees are required to approve all grants in line with charity commission rules.
You can choose when you wish to make grants to charities and how much. You can make regular payments, give away income generated on the portfolio or donate lump sums.
If your charitable behaviours or needs fit into all or some of the following categories, a DAF such as our UBS UK Donor-Advised Foundation might be the solution for you.
- Do you have charitable goals? This could be for example to give a percentage of your wealth to children's charities
- Would you like the option to give anonymously?
- Would you like to include your whole family in your charitable decisions?
- Would you like to have a charitable fund that continues after your death?
- Would you like the flexibility to review and change the charities you give to over time?
- Are you unsure of when or which charities to support but know that you want to put money aside now for your philanthropy?
Arrange a call back
Did you answer yes to all or some of these questions? Speak to one of our philanthropy experts about your charitable goals. Simply fill in your details for a call back.
The UBS DAF is a simple, tax effective wrapper around your own charitable fund. It enables you to create a potentially long lasting fund without the need to set up your own charitable trust or private foundation. You can even have other family members involved in your DAF.
- Simplicity – we handle all the administration at no cost to you
- Flexibility – choose the charities you want to support with grants of any size as often as you wish
- Anonymity – we protect your privacy with the option to make grants to charities anonymously
- Efficiency – we will add any tax we can reclaim on your donations to your DAF
- Family matters – your DAF and the making of charitable grants can be carried out by nominated family members both during your lifetime and on your death
Want to talk to the UBS Philanthropy Services Team?