Eyesight is the world’s most neglected disability. A third of the world’s population needs better access to eye care.
- Peek Vision use technology to test sight, gather data and improve access to eye health services. Vision testing app Peek Acuity and Peek Retina - a smartphone adapter enabling retina examinations – are being used in more than 150 countries.
- Nearly 30 million blind people worldwide could keep their sight with simple surgery or treatment. 90% of visually-impaired people live in low or middle-income countries.
- Peek Vision have restored the sight of 2,000 adults who were blind from cataracts in Botswana. Now they are screening all the hundreds of thousands of school children there and across Kenya – so far almost a thousand received glasses or treatment.
- Andrew himself grew up with severe visual impairment causing him to feel awkward and fail at school – but a pair of glasses transformed his life at age 12. Seeing his parents' homeland Egypt, he realised how different life might have been and was inspired to become an eye surgeon and later to set up Peek Vision.
- Peek Vision have won several accolades including a Digital Top 50 Award from Google, McKinsey and Rocket; a Global South e-Health Observatory award; and two European Product Design platinum awards. In 2016, Andrew received a Rolex Award for Enterprise.
This material is for informational and educational purposes only and should not be relied upon as investment advice or the basis for making any investment decisions. It is not intended to be regarded as investment research, a sales prospectus, as an offer, or a solicitation of an offer, to buy or sell any product or other specific service. The views and opinions expressed in this material are those of the respective speakers/authors and are not necessarily those of UBS Switzerland AG, its subsidiaries or affiliates ("UBS").
Neither UBS nor any of its directors, officers, employees or agents accepts any liability for any loss or damage arising out of the use of all or any part of this material or reliance upon any information contained or provided herein. The information and data presented by the speaker/author may be deemed reliable; however, their accuracy and completeness is not guaranteed or verified by UBS and providing you with this information is not to be considered a solicitation with respect to the purchase or sale of any securities, investments, strategies or products that may be mentioned. The information, data and any opinions expressed in this material are current as of the date of publication of this material, are subject to change without notice and may differ or be contrary to opinions expressed by UBS. UBS is under no obligation to update or keep current the information contained in this material. The viewer/reader should not construe the contents of this material as legal, tax, accounting, regulatory, or other specialist or technical advice or services, or investment advice or a personal recommendation or a substitute for the exercise of his/her own judgment. Viewers/readers should refer to their own professional advisors and consultants for specialist or technical advice or services.
In providing wealth management services to clients, we offer both investment advisory and brokerage services which are separate and distinct and differ in material ways. For information, including the different laws and contracts that govern, visit ubs.com/workingwithus.
No affiliation, association, sponsorship or endorsement is suggested or implied by UBS to any person, entity, company or organization appearing, featured or mentioned in this material.
UBS specifically prohibits the redistribution or reproduction of this material in whole or in part without the prior written permission of UBS. UBS accepts no liability whatsoever for any claims or lawsuits from any third parties arising from the use or distribution of this material.
USA: Distributed to US persons by UBS Financial Services Inc., a subsidiary of UBS AG and a member of FINRA/SIPC. UBS Securities LLC is a subsidiary of UBS AG and an affiliate of UBS Financial Services Inc.
© UBS 2019. The key symbol and UBS are among the registered and unregistered trademarks of UBS. All rights reserved.
The use of the SDG logo, including the color wheel, and icons by an entity does not imply the endorsement of the United Nations of such entity, its products or services, or of its planned activities.
The SDG logo, including the color wheel, and icons may not be reproduced for the purpose of self-promotion, or for obtaining any commercial or personal financial gain.
Peek Vision works towards these UN Sustainable Development Goals:
Andrew Bastawarous's updates:
Other Global Visionaries you might find interesting:
Or you can view and select from all of our Global Visionaries