I have seen many times the power of video in the hands of courageous people who fight for the truth.
- WITNESS makes it possible for people to use video and technology to protect human rights.
- It was founded by musician and activist Peter Gabriel in 1992 after bystander footage of Rodney King Jr's beating by Los Angeles police caused a public outcry.
- WITNESS has trained 7,100 people in filming and production techniques, and believes it has reached 260 million more with its materials and videos.
- Their tools have supported the first prosecution at the International Criminal Court and of abusive police officers in Brazil.
- Sam is an award-winning human rights advocate and technologist, who has developed innovative tools and successfully pushed YouTube to allow blurring of faces.
WITNESS works towards these UN Sustainable Development Goals:
Sam Gregory's updates:
Other Global Visionaries you might find interesting:
Or you can view and select from all of our Global Visionaries