At Kiron, it is our mission to overcome barriers and to empower refugees to live a self-determined life.
- Kiron Open Higher Education is a non-profit organization aiming to integrate refugees through higher education in their host countries.
- Refugees face obstacles to access higher education, identified by the UNHCR as: the need for legal documentation; high fees; the lack of institutional capacity; and language barriers.
- These challenges prevent around five million people from living up to their potential.
- Kiron students study online for two years, then transfer to a partner university, using places from dropouts, to graduate with an accredited degree.
- Founding member Hila was driven by her father’s personal experience: he migrated to Germany in the 1970s and faced similar challenges in accessing higher education as refugees now.
Kiron works towards these UN Sustainable Development Goals:
Other Global Visionaries you might find interesting:
Or you can view and select from all of our Global Visionaries