We aim to be a leader in sustainability in the financial industry. This requires focusing on the long term and working to provide consistent returns to our stakeholders. It also requires moving beyond the commitment of doing no harm, to one that promotes common good by being proactive, purposeful and accountable. Our key program in this regard is UBS and Society – a cross-divisional, umbrella platform covering all our activities and capabilities in sustainable investing and philanthropy, environmental and human rights policies that govern client and supplier relationships, managing our own environmental footprint, as well as our firm's community investment.
Our concept of stewardship encompasses more than just our clients’ assets, it means taking care of what we leave for future generations. This is not measured by financial performance alone, but in parallel with our performance relating to the environment, good governance, our social impact and the key components of sustainability. To this end, we aim to:
- make sustainability the everyday standard across the firm,
- channel a growing portion of investable client assets through innovative financial mechanisms to address societal challenges,
- make sustainable performance part of every client conversation,
- train employees on sustainability,
- create a credible sustainability methodology,
- measure the impact of our community investment activities, and
- support the transition to a low carbon economy through a comprehensive climate change strategy.
We implement the UBS and Society program through the three pillars of how we do business, how we support our clients and how we support our communities.