Chinese, born 1963
Year of initial election to UBS 2018
Function at UBS Group AG
Member of the Board of Directors
Year of initial election to UBS Group AG: 2018
Year of initial election to UBS AG: 2018
Professional history and education
Fred Hu was elected to the BoD of UBS AG and UBS Group AG in 2018. He has been chairman of Primavera Capital Group, a China-based global investment firm since 2010. Prior to founding Primavera, Fred Hu held various senior positions at Goldman Sachs from 1997 to 2010, where he was instrumental in building the firm’s franchise in the region. He was partner and chairman of Greater China from 2008 to 2010 and partner and co-head Investment Banking China from 2004 to 2008. Before that he held the position of Goldman Sachs’ chief economist. From 1991 to 1996, he served as an economist at the International Monetary Fund in Washington, DC, and after that was co-director of the National Center for Economic Research and professor at Tsinghua University. He holds a master in engineering science from Tsinghua University, and a master and PhD in economics from Harvard University.
Other activities and functions
- Non-executive Chairman of the Board of Yum China Holdings
- Board member of Hong Kong Exchanges and Clearing Ltd.
- Board member of China Asset Management
- Board member of Minsheng Financial Leasing Co.
- Trustee of the China Medical Board
- Governor of the Chinese International School
- Co-Chairman of the Nature Conservancy Asia Pacific Council
- Director and member of the Executive Committee of China Venture Capital and Private Equity Association Ltd.
- Global Advisory Board member of the Council on Foreign Relations