We are striving to be at the forefront of ESG and sustainability. We explain the key issues and help shape the discussions, which is reflected in the quality and depth of advice, and the products that we are able to offer our clients.
Our goals are to:
- deliver innovative investment products that support impact and socially, responsible themes
- support the transition to a low carbon economy in advisory and capital markets including supporting issuance of green and sustainable bonds
- work towards full integration of ESG into investment research
- make sustainability the everyday standard across the firm
of our corporate clients stated they were implementing or revising a sustainability strategy.1
collective AuM for the 2,300 signatories of the UN supported Principles for Responsible Investment (PRI) initiative2
Annual investment needed to achieve the UN Sustainable Development Goals by 20303.
10b tons to zero: how can China achieve its carbon neutral goal?
Rising pressure on fossil finance to bring a strong new leg to the climate theme
China Solar Industry - UBS Evidence Lab inside
China's path to carbon neutral by 2060: 1) economic structural shift towards tertiary; 2) energy intensity reduction; and 3) carbon intensity decrease.
Last year we saw a new focus on climate goals from the oil sector. Could we see the same this year from the banks? Our 2021 outlook considers the implications
UBS Evidence Lab evidence echoes our view that China's addressable solar market exceeds 5,000GW, indicating a boost to long-term demand potential.
Our ESG Research
Providing environmental, social and governance research since 20041, our dedicated ESG research team works to bring in-depth research that responds to ESG issues as they move into investors' risk agenda.
Sustainable investing (SI) in equity research at UBS:
- Sector competition model seeking to identify 'touch-points' between markets, society and the environment.
- Long tenure in the ESG/SI sector.
- Research SI content including: thematic and cross-sectoral collaborations; ESG Keys, our recently launched ESG Risk Radar, and ESG embedded in 'mainstream' analyst research on stocks and sectors.
Supporting deals that matter
In Global Banking, we strive to support deals that matter
- providing capital-raising and strategic advisory to companies driving positive impact
- pitching and structuring green and sustainable bond opportunities for financial institutions and corporate clients
- vetting all transactions, assessing and restricting business in many areas with full exclusion of business in other areas
- encouraging ESG disclosure
Engaging our employees and supporting our communities
We are committed to embedding social well-being and sustainability into our day-to-day:
- 38% of Investment Bank employees volunteered in 20191
- 118 UBS Group community partners1
- regional and global Diversity & Inclusions councils
- our employee action streams provide an opportunity to improve our Culture across a number of topics including Sustainability, Talent and Wellness.
Dow Jones Sustainability Index, recognized UBS as the industry leader for the sixth year running*
In 2019, UBS Optimus Foundation raised USD 89.5 million in donations.*
71% reduction of our greenhouse gas footprint since 2004, well on our way to meet our target of 75% by 2020.*