Why it matters
- Energy use remains the biggest cause of climate change, responsible for about 60% of greenhouse gas emissions.
- By 2030, almost 60% of people will live in cities, putting further pressure on water supplies and infrastructure.
- It's thought a third of the world's food – equivalent to 1.3bn tonnes each year – ends up rotting due to poor harvesting and transportation.
- By 2050, our growing population means we would need almost three planets to sustain our current lifestyles.
- Of the 8,300 known animal types, 8% are extinct and 22% are at risk of extinction.
Global Visionaries focused on Environment:
This theme includes the following UN Sustainable Development Goals:
Don't miss out
Sign up to our newsletter and get updates about Global Visionaries directly to your inbox.