Key highlights from Ross, PM for UBS Asian High Yield Fund:
- Trade war may change investor sentiment towards the RMB at the margin
- However, the change will not be too drastic
- China is not gearing up to devalue the yuan too aggressively
- Investors are increasingly interested in the RMB as it is “massively under-invested in a global context” due to capital controls
- However the Chinese market is liberalizing and this supports the increasing interest in RMB
- Ross says there’s been “lots of steps to open up channels that allow people to do that, but its just the size of market and opportunity argument”
Pan Asian fixed income
UBS Asian High Yield
You've got a huge huge onshore market and a vast pool of international money sitting in other markets, and you're just rebalancing, to some extent, some of those flows.
Ross on why trade war will not impact RMB significantly
Perspectives matter. Tune in to our insights.
Read Ross’s chat with Citywire
RMB still on central banks' radar
Citywire Asia also discussed our findings on over 30 central banks and sovereign institutions attitude towards the RMB. This was part of the 25th UBS Reserve Management Seminar survey.
The key findings with regards to the RMB are:
- Over the next 25 years, one-third of those surveyed expects the RMB to become a leading reserve currency (on par with the Dollar and Euro)
- The RMB could take up 10% in global FX reserves from 2022 to 2030 according to the survey
- 62% of participants expect their allocation to the RMB to increase and no institution indicated that their allocation will drop. This is unlike the response for the Dollar, Euro, Yen and Pound.
THIS WEBSITE IS NOT INTENDED FOR AND SHOULD NOT BE ACCESSED BY PERSONS LOCATED OR RESIDENT IN ANY JURISDICTION WHERE (BY REASON OF THAT PERSON'S NATIONALITY, DOMICILE, RESIDENCE OR OTHERWISE) THE PUBLICATION OR AVAILABILITY OF THIS WEBSITE IS PROHIBITED OR CONTRARY TO LOCAL LAW OR REGULATION OR WOULD SUBJECT ANY UBS ENTITY TO ANY REGISTRATION OR LICENSING REQUIREMENTS IN SUCH JURISDICTIONS. IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO BE AWARE OF, TO OBTAIN ALL RELEVANT REGULATORY APPROVALS, LICENCES, VERIFICATIONS AND/OR REGISTRATIONS UNDER, AND TO OBSERVE ALL APPLICABLE LAWS AND REGULATIONS OF ANY RELEVANT JURISDICTION IN CONNECTION WITH YOUR ENTRANCE TO THIS WEBSITE. EACH INVESTMENT PRODUCT AND SERVICE REFERRED TO ON THIS WEBSITE IS INTENDED TO BE MADE AVAILABLE ONLY TO RESIDENTS IN SINGAPORE.
UBS RESERVES THE RIGHT TO CHANGE, MODIFY, ADD OR REMOVE CONTENT ON THE WEBSITE AS WELL AS THESE TERMS AT ANY TIME FOR ANY REASON WITHOUT NOTICE. SUCH CHANGES SHALL BE EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY UPON POSTING. YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT BY ACCESSING OUR WEBSITE AFTER WE HAVE POSTED CHANGES TO THESE TERMS, YOU ARE AGREEING TO THESE TERMS AS MODIFIED.