Think before you charge
Follow best practices when using a credit card
Learn about how your card works, pitfalls to avoid and how you can protect your credit history when you spend with plastic.
- Credit cards are convenient and can help you build good credit if you use them responsibly.
- Make sure you understand your card’s key terms, including its interest rate, fees and policies.
- Credit card rewards programs may offer cash back, points or miles. Some cards also offer perks, such as concierge service or travel insurance.
- If you can’t pay off your credit card balance in full each month, try to at least make the minimum payment.
- Keeping your balance below 30%* of your credit limit and avoiding applying for new cards unnecessarily could help your credit score.