Just a few steps away from the château is the Parquin House. Its elongated structure is penetrated by a two-story corner and central pavilion with hipped mansard roofs. Decorative elements are integrated into the corner edges of the light-yellow plastered facades.
On the house's north facade, which faces the lake, is an impressive columned portico with a balcony above it. Directly in front of the main entrance on the south side is a 17-meter-deep well, which dates back to the 1870s.
The interior of the building was completely hollowed out and modernized between 1972 and 1975. On the ground floor, beyond the spacious entrance hall are three generously designed Empire rooms, which were constructed under Charles Parquin. They were restored to their original condition, and today are used as dining rooms for up to 150 people.
The Yellow Hall features honey-colored wallpaper. On the east wall hangs a near life-size portrait of Napoleon III in a gilded oval frame, while opposite is the more modest portrait of his famous Uncle Napoleon I (both on loan from Château Arenenberg). A white-tiled cylindrical stove with brass ornamentation showcases the room's historical elegance.
The Red Hallis decorated in shades of subdued beige and English red. The north wall features a mirror with a blue architectural frame and figurative gold appliqués. On the east wall is a graceful Empire fireplace with a chimney breast featuring ornamental decorations. Both pieces are original furnishings.
The Tent Hall, which has the same shape and color as a Napoleonic commander's tent, was inspired by the tent room at Château Arenenberg. The ceiling structure and walls are decorated with vertical blue-and-white striped wall coverings, with a painted, golden lambrequin (replica of a curtain) under the sloping sections of the ceiling.
Transforming the Parquin House
The Parquin House was built in around 1797 by the wealthy merchant Baron Jean Jacques Högger. Bonapartist Colonel Charles Parquin subsequently renovated it to include the furnishings that characterize the interior to this day. He redesigned the building in 1825 to create Thurgau's first guesthouse.
Literature: This text is largely based on the Swiss Art Guide of the Society for Art History in Switzerland GSK (www.gsk.ch), published in collaboration with Wolfsberg: Cornelia Stäheli, Château Wolfsberg near Ermatingen, 3rd, updated edition, Bern 2013.