A lot has happened since our inaugural issue of "What's new and next." Efforts are in full swing to transform the experience for you and your participants. In this issue, we'll update you on our new state-of-the-art technology, management changes and our recent involvement in industry events. As always, we welcome your feedback and interest in other topics for future updates. Wishing you a happy summer!
In this issue
Administrative update: Our initial waves of clients have gone pro
Our initial waves of clients are now live on UBS Plan Admin Pro. Speak with your client team today to get more information about your upgrade date.
We are very excited about the new UBS Plan Admin Pro platform, which enhances our administration capabilities and simplifies tasks for all users. Now, outsourced clients will have one portal for recordkeeping, reporting, compliance and more.
In December 2017, UBS began migrating clients to UBS Plan Admin Pro. Our goal is to make the transition to UBS Plan Admin Pro as seamless as possible—no formatting changes required, flexible file layouts accepted and plenty of training materials available.
UBS Plan Admin Pro enhancements
- One real-time platform for administration and reporting
- Sandbox test environment
- Intuitive navigation
- Enhanced permissioning
- Real-time bulk updates
- Simplified file formatting
- UK share plan support (SIP & SAYE)
- Real-time data exchange
- Termination modeling
- Streamlined award uploading
- Share ownership tracking
- Robust enhancements to administrative reporting
- Enhanced financial reporting features, such as modification accounting and fungible share pool reporting
- Corporate Plan Admin Dashboard
- Enhanced mobility features, such as Income Sourcing
- Enhanced dividend features
- Retirement eligibility enhancements
- Subscription services for integration with:
- Global tax compliance engine
- Edgar for Insider Forms filing (3,4,5)
Participant experience: A completely new experience is here
In early July, we began a phased rollout of the new UBS One Source portal. Soon your participants will have access to a completely reimagined UBS One Source portal, which has been reconstructed based on your feedback, with your participants' needs in mind. Once live, your participants will have access to an intuitive, interactive and engaging experience that puts them at the center.
- A sleek, simple and modern site with the ability to personalize key features
- New tools to help participants understand the impact of their financial decisions
- Compelling, curated resources to educate participants on equity awards, delivered in multiple engaging formats
- Continued access to advice from UBS Financial Advisors who specialize in corporate stock benefits (for U.S. participants only)
Read more in the recent media release published on July 9.
And this is just the beginning…your Relationship Manager will be in touch with timing and next steps.
In the news: Stay current
Get the latest updates, including our active involvement in the industry and meet our new hires.
2018 Euromoney Awards for Excellence
Euromoney names UBS "World's best bank for wealth management".
2018 NASPP in San Diego, California. The NASPP conference is right around the corner, and we’ll be actively involved from start to finish. We look forward to spending time with you and hope you can join us at one of our pre-conference events on September 24, or our evening event at the San Diego Yacht Club, taking pace on Wednesday, September 26.
Speaking of NASPP…remember Gonzo, the iconic mural artist from our 2016 NASPP client event?
In case you were wondering what ever happened to the inspiring mural created in front of us that October evening…it's now enjoyed by Casa de Esperanza in Houston.* Casa de Esperanza de los Ninos is a haven for children and families of abuse. We are thrilled that Gonzo's creation has found such a worthy home.
- UBS Insights
We are pleased to share with you the latest UBS Investor Watch report: “The century club.” According to this new research, 30% of Americans think they will live to 100. Not preparing for a life that could span nine or ten decades can have profound consequences for employees. We also learned that the number one concern people have about growing older is affording healthcare. The good news is that including equity awards as part of a larger financial plan can help your participants prepare for these costs. They also have access to knowledgeable advice and a growing financial wellness offering that can help them plan for a long and happy life. You’re welcome to share this report with your employees. It’s another way we can work together to help them understand the value of the awards you grant.
The 2018 CEP Symposium was hosted at beautiful Santa Clara University in California. The event featured some of the industry's top professionals discussing the most relevant and complex topics challenging our industry. UBS's own Niki Davis, Implementation and Data Solutions Manager, led a conversation on what stock plan administrators are looking for.
The 2018 GEO Conference took place on April 24-26 in Orlando, Florida. GEO hosted equity plan professionals from 21 different countries. UBS was highly active in panel breakouts during the conference, leading sessions on financial wellness and technical accounting.
- Nupur Bahal and Sudhir Tauro from UBS, along with our client partners, Anissa Kelley (Encompass Health), Angie Walker (The Wendy's Company) and Michael Wallace (United Technologies Corporation), provided insights on how plan participants view their equity awards. The session illustrated how financial planning increases the perceived value of those awards and in turn the equity program as a whole. Click here for more information about the session.
- Tommy Swindle, UBS Head of EPAS Financial Reporting, discussed how finance professionals built volatility into a company's income statement and dilutive EPS. Tommy was joined by one of our clients, Brian Arrington (Texas Instruments) and two leading consultants in our space; Robert Puser (PwC) and Raenelle James (Equity Methods). Click here for a brief synopsis of the session.*
Welcome and congratulations: New team members and management changes
Growth and advancement of our human capital is a key focus of EPAS. We are proud to announce the following appointments.
- Steve Cahoon has joined UBS as the EPAS Eastern Divisional Sales Director, reporting to Mike. Prior to joining UBS, Steve had a 30-year career with Fidelity Investments.
- Mark Clem has joined UBS as the Head of Client and Industry Engagement, reporting to Julie Vander Veen. Mark is an industry veteran and has held numerous leadership roles helping to shape the industry.
- David Hanes has joined the Corporate Relationship Management team as a Service Manager. We’re thrilled to have him back in the EPAS group after spending time at Texas Instruments experiencing equity comp from the issuer side.
- Mike Nannini will serve as Head of EPAS Corporate Business Development, reporting to Michael Barry. In this role, Mike Nannini will work closely with UBS wealth management, investment banking and asset management teams to bring our equity plan, financial wellness and executive planning services to public and private companies.
- Patrick McGrady will replace Mike Nannini as head of Education and Advice Delivery, reporting directly to Peter Vincent, Head of Employee Wealth Services.
- Doug Ridgway has joined the Corporate Relationship Management team as a Relationship Manager. Doug joins EPAS after spending over 20 years with Fidelity Investments in service leadership roles.
A look ahead: Mark your calendar
No summer break for us! See exciting events happening this summer and fall.
- September: Group Five issues the results from their 2018 Stock plan industry study
- September 25-28: NASPP Annual Conference, San Diego, CA
- September 24: Join us the Monday before the conference kicks-off for a networking leisure activity
- September 26: Join UBS for our evening event during NASPP. An evening at the San Diego Yacht Club and cocktails aboard the iconic America's Cup yacht, the America
- October 26: Rutgers School of Management & Labor Relations 2nd Annual Conference: Employee Stock Ownership Plans and Equity Compensation, New Brunswick, NJ
- April 10-12, 2019: GEO Amsterdam
- UBS at Equilar Conference, June 4-6, 2018, San Francisco, CA
- GEO Chapter Meeting, June 8, 2018. UBS U.S. headquarters, New York, NY
- GEO will also be hosting conferences this quarter in the following cities: Minneapolis, Boston and Austin
- NASPP New England Regional Conference, July 11, 2018, Smithfield, RI
- NASPP will also be hosting additional conferences this quarter in the following cities: Dallas, Miami, Jacksonville, Tampa, Minneapolis, Charlotte, New York, San Francisco, Atlanta, Cincinnati, Chicago, Seattle, Philadelphia, Houston, Needham, Denver, Danbury, Milwaukee, Austin, Irvine and Kansas City
*Please note: you will be re-directed to a non-UBS website for the links provided above.
Archives: View past editions
Administrative update: Ready to go pro?
We are very excited about the new UBS Plan Admin Pro platform, which enhances our administration capabilities and simplifies tasks for all users.
On December 11, UBS launched its first clients on UBS Plan Admin Pro, delivering cutting-edge, cloud-enabled technology. Now, outsourced clients will have one portal for recordkeeping, reporting, compliance and more.
Remaining clients will start migrating at the end of first quarter 2018 and continue throughout the year. Your relationship manager will be in contact with you in early Q1 to provide a proposed timeline for your upgrade.
Our goal is to make the transition to UBS Plan Admin Pro as seamless as possible—no formatting changes required, flexible file layouts accepted and plenty of training materials available.
Participant experience: Out with the old, in with the new
UBS is reimagining our UBS One Source participant website to create a more intuitive experience and deliver access to online advice and education. The newsite will be rolled out in waves beginning in second quarter 2018.
Starting next year, UBS One Source will offer several new features:
- New Homepage with easier navigation, events calendar, notification center and tools to increase participant engagement (quizzes, challenges, etc.)
- New tabs for Awards Education and Financial Wellness that will replace the Knowledge Center. Now participants will see tools and videos, including interactive videos, based on their personal equity awards and financial needs
- New Holdings page that consolidates all equity awards, long shares and cash into a single summary view
- New Activity page that consolidates all order history into two summary views (transaction type and product type)
- New Transaction Wizard that simplifies the order-entry experience. Participants won't need a technical understanding of equity compensation or the jargon that goes with it ("good til canceled," "sell to cover"). The Transaction Wizard will ask plain English questions to find out what participants want to do… and help them do it.
In the news: Stay current
Get updates on developments in the equity compensation industry, and read about UBS in the news.
- For the first time, UBS Wealth Management Americas won Best Bank for Wealth Management in North America at the Euromoney Awards for Excellence 2017. The award reflects our commitment to holistic advice and helping our clients achieve their goals.
- To coincide with open enrollment season, we are pleased to share a white paper recently launched by UBS, which focuses on Corporate Health. The paper shares approaches companies can take to reduce rising healthcare costs for employee populations in both developed and emerging markets. The paper also includes recommendations to help companies better manage this important area.
- Tax Reform: Given the fluidity of the proposed Tax Cuts and Jobs Act legislation, we will host a webinar after the bill is signed into law to discuss the impact to stock compensation.
- 25th Annual NASPP conference: During the week of October 17, UBS joined over 1,700 equity compensation industry professionals in Washington D.C. While at the conference, we were very busy! Over 2 ½ days, members of the UBS team engaged with clients and industry leaders, participated on conference panels, and hosted a very unique event with award-winning journalist, Bret Baier, Chief Political Anchor for Fox News. There was an especially exciting buzz for UBS at the conference this year (view video). We were delighted in the interest to share updates on: the introduction of UBS Plan Admin Pro, enhanced digital capabilities for participants, the ability to deliver advice and education to all participants, and our upcoming Workplace Financial Wellness offering.
UBS Leadership update
- We are proud to announce that our very own Paula Polito, Client Strategy Officer of UBS Wealth Management Americas, with oversight for a number of WMA businesses, including the EPAS business, has been named one of the most powerful women in finance by American Banker magazine for the third year in a row. The list recognizes 25 women in non-bank finance whose outstanding performance, leadership and influence are driving change.
- To ensure we are best positioned to service you and help your employees manage the financial challenges and decisions they face, we are pleased to announce the following additions to our EPAS team:
- Sudhir Tauro joined the group as the leader of our participant digital experience. In his role he is responsible for the overall digital strategy for the participant experience across all channels. Sudhir has over 15 years of financial services and management consulting experience specializing in wealth management, corporate services, digital transformation, sales and service optimization and platform management. Most recently, Sudhir was Chief Operating Officer for Sales and Service at E*TRADE, responsible for platforms, roadmaps and implementation of a wide range of strategic initiatives for both the equity plan and retail businesses.
- Nupur Bahal joined the team in a new role as Head of Workplace Financial Wellness. Prior to joining UBS, Nupur spent 13 years with Fidelity Investments, where she held various leadership roles and helped drive B2B and B2C growth in Fidelity's stock plan, retirement, financial wellness and retail brokerage businesses. Prior to Fidelity, Nupur held roles in strategy, planning and business development at firms including Merrill Lynch.
- Paul Garbis is now leading our service delivery group as Head of Corporate Service. Prior to this role Paul was the Chief of Staff for our EPAS business. Paul has held leadership roles in his 20 + years of experience in the equity plan industry and as a Chief Operating Officer in the retail industry. Paul has in-depth knowledge of corporate services and an extensive background in operations and process excellence.
A look ahead: Mark your calendar
First quarter is always a busy time in equity compensation, with tax season in full swing. Here are key operational dates to be aware of:
- January 1 – Don't forget to reset YTD compensation limits to zero
- January – December – UBS Plan Admin Pro migrations underway
- January – IRS tax forms (1099 (B, DIV, MISC), 3921, 3922, 1042-S) begin mailing
- March 27 – CEP Symposium, Santa Clara, CA
- April 15 – IRS tax filing deadline
- April 24-26 – Global Equity Organization annual conference, Orlando, FL
- June – UBS One Source enhancements launch