Insights from Global Head of Sustainable and Impact Investing Michael Baldinger
We have a range of products across asset classes that have sustainability playing a significant role in the investment process. We also offer tailored solutions that span the sustainability spectrum, including ESG integration, tilt toward a specific E, S or G factor, thematic, positive screening, impact or exclusions.
+18 employees dedicated to SI1
Around 900 investment professionals1
USD 22.1bn SI-Focused
USD 231bn ESG Integrated assets under management1
20 years of SI business history
A range of strategies from global to regional, covering traditional sustainable approaches to investing with impact.
Long Term Themes
- The strategy is actively managed investing globally in companies exposed to long term investment themes related to the three mega trends: population growth, increasing urbanization and aging population.
- Investing in attractively valued companies with a strong sustainability profile, the portfolio holds around 40-80 stocks and is diversified across countries and sectors.
Global Sustainable Equity
- The strategy invests worldwide in companies that generate above-average environmental, social and governance performance and integrate sustainability factors in the business model to build a competitive advantage. The portfolio's structure may deviate sharply from the reference index in order to increase potential outperformance.
- The strategy is managed by an investment team that has specialised in the management of sustainable portfolios since 1996.
- Managed actively, the strategy invests globally in developed and emerging market companies that provide solutions to significant global challenges such as climate change, air pollution, clean water and food security.
- The strategy aims to invest in attractively valued companies with a strong sustainability profile allocating to multiple impact categories whilst diversifying across countries and sectors. The strategy intends to demonstrate a positive impact on human well-being and environmental quality.
Emerging Markets Sustainable
- The strategy provides investors access to companies with a focus on sustainability that are mainly domiciled in emerging markets. These companies often manufacture innovative products or offer services which, by their especially high environmental and social benefit, contribute to the sustainable development of emerging markets.
- The strategy is actively managed and invests in companies which are global leaders with good positioning within their respective spheres of activity. Sector and country diversification ensures broad coverage of the global market.
US Equity Value Sustainable
- The strategy invests in US companies that have strong environmental, social and governance profile and are attractively valued.
- Investment decisions are based on disciplined bottom-up analysis of companies that rank highly in the UBS ESG database.
- Actively managed strategy based on a concentrated portfolio of our highest conviction US stocks.
Passive – Climate Aware
- An innovative, cost-effective, rules-based equity solution designed to capitalize on the long-term transition to a low Green House Gas emissions economy.
- Has the flexibility to increase or decrease exposures to constituents of the index based on their expected contributions towards climate change.
- An innovative approach with four key building blocks combining a multi-dimensional group of metrics.
ETFs – Global Gender Equality
- Invests in the Solactive Equileap Global Gender Equality 100 Leaders Net Total Return Index. The relative weightings of the companies correspond to their weightings in the index.
- The investment objective is to replicate the price and return performance of the Solactive Equileap Global Gender Equality 100 Leaders Net Total Return Index net of fees. The stock exchange price may differ from the net asset value.
ETFs – S&P 500 ESG-based indices
- The strategy generally invests in stocks contained in the S&P 500 Index. The relative weightings of the companies correspond to their weightings in the index.
- The investment objective is to replicate the price and return performance of the S&P 500 Index net of fees. The stock exchange price may differ from the net asset value.
ETFs – MSCI ESG Universal-based indices
- Invests in the MSCI ACWI ESG Universal 5% Issuer Capped with Developed Markets 100% hedged into CHF / EUR / GBP / USD Index depending on the share class. The relative weightings of the companies correspond to their weightings in the index.
- The investment objective is to replicate the price and return performance of the MSCI ACWI ESG Universal 5% Issuer Capped with Developed Markets 100% hedged to the reference Index currency net of fees. The stock exchange price may differ from the net asset value.
ETFs – MSCI EMU Socially Responsible
- Provides diversified access to sustainable investments via an indexed investment approach. Invests in stocks contained in the MSCI EMU Socially Responsible 5% Issuer Capped Index. The relative weightings of the companies correspond to their weightings in the index.
- Exceptional diversification due to the large number of stocks in the index. Modular structure enables coverage of the most important equity regions.
Compliance with sustainability criteria is overseen by an established index provider.
ETFs – MSCI SRI indices-based indices
- We have a range of other SI ETF strategies in CHF, EUR, GBP and USD linked to MSCI socially responsible indices, with an investment objective of replicating the price and return performance of their reference indices.
As well as embedding sustainability factors into our overarching fixed income investment process, we offer multiple strategies with a variety of sustainable investing approaches.
US Corporate Bond Sustainable Fund
- Investing predominantly in USD investment grade bonds, the strategy aims to achieve an attractive return relative to the USD investment grade corporate bond market.
- It seeks to invest in issuers with better sustainability profiles that are selected based on proprietary UBS ESG scores. The strategy is best suited to investors looking to invest in a broadly diversified portfolio of USD corporate bonds.
Bond Sustainable (CHF)
- The strategy invests predominantly in CHF-denominated, investment grade bonds across different spread sectors. The strategy aims to achieve an attractive return relative to the performance of the CHF bond market. The main focus in on careful security selection, sector allocation and active duration management.
- We seek to invest in issuers with better sustainability profiles that are selected based on proprietary UBS ESG scores. Suitable for investors seeking to invest in a broadly diversified portfolio of CHF bonds with a focus on sustainability.
Corporate Bond Sustainable (EUR)
- The strategy invests predominantly in EUR-denominated, investment grade corporate bonds. The strategy aims to achieve an attractive return relative to the performance of the EUR corporates market. The focus is on careful security selection, sector allocation and active duration management.
- We seek to invest in issuers with better sustainability profiles that are selected based on proprietary UBS ESG scores. Suitable for investors seeking to invest in a broadly diversified portfolio of EUR corporate bonds with a focus on sustainability.
Corporate Bond Sustainable (US)
- The strategy invests predominantly in USD-denominated, investment grade corporate bonds. The strategy aims to achieve an attractive return relative to the performance of the USD investment grade corporate market. The focus is on careful security selection, sector allocation and active duration management.
- We seek to invest in issuers with better sustainability profiles that are selected based on proprietary UBS ESG scores. The strategy is suitable for investors seeking to invest in a broadly diversified portfolio of USD corporate bonds.
Multilateral Development Banks (MDB) Bonds ETF
- Multilateral Development Banks (MDB`s) are global institutions, for example the World Bank and Asian Development Bank, which gather capital to provide loans for developing nations at favorable interest rates. The aim is to improve social and physical infrastructure.
- MDB bonds are top-rated (AAA), and offer higher yields than similar maturity US sovereign debt. MDB bonds form a sustainable and diversified alternative to classical government bonds within a portfolio.
Real assets such as properties and infrastructure contribute significantly to CO2 emissions and the consumption of natural resources. Sustainability is therefore a key component of successful real asset management.
- Investing in breakthrough cancer research and delivering value for investors, patients and society.
- Leverages industry dynamics and macro trends to seek attractive returns from biotech venture investments while creating a positive impact on society. It applies a clear approach to identifying, investing and ultimately exiting potentially high value projects.
- Invests in the very early clinical test stages. And while not all concepts will succeed, those that do will be attractive for biotech and pharmaceutical companies.
This website is a marketing communication. Any market or investment views expressed are not intended to be investment research. The website has not been prepared in line with the Financial Conduct Authority requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research and is not subject to any prohibition on dealing ahead of the dissemination of investment research. The information contained in this website should not be considered a recommendation to purchase or sell any particular security and the opinions expressed are those of UBS Asset Management and are subject to change without notice. Furthermore, there can be no assurance that any trends described in this website will continue or that forecasts will occur because economic and market conditions change frequently.
Persons who access the material made available by UBS Asset Management (UK) Ltd at this website ("UBS website”) agree to the following:
About this site
The material on the UBS Asset Management UK Intermediary web site is aimed at UK Professional Clients including Financial Advisers. It is not aimed at, and must not be relied upon by, Retail Clients. This website is not directed at persons in any other jurisdiction, including the United States. This information is not an invitation to subscribe for units or shares in the funds described herein and is by way of information only.
UBS does not give investment advice or recommendations in respect of its product range.
The UK Intermediary web site includes both regulated and unregulated products. You should be aware that unregulated products do not carry the same degree of protection as regulated products. Unregulated schemes may only be marketed to clients in accordance with Chapter 4 of the FCA’s New Conduct of Business Sourcebook (COBS) and the Financial Services and Markets Act 2000 (Promotion of Collective Investment Schemes) Exemptions Order 2001, as amended.
Use of the UBS website
The entire content of this UBS website is subject to copyright with all rights reserved. You may download or print out a hard copy of individual pages and/or sections of the UBS website, provided that you do not remove any copyright or other proprietary notices. Any downloading or otherwise copying from the UBS website will not transfer title to any software or material to you. You may not reproduce (in whole or in part), transmit (by electronic means or otherwise), modify, link into or use for any public or commercial purpose, the UBS website without the prior written permission of UBS.
No reliance or advice
While UBS uses reasonable efforts to obtain information from sources which it believes to be reliable, UBS makes no representation that the information or opinions contained on the UBS website is accurate, reliable or complete. The information and opinions contained in the UBS website are provided by UBS for personal use and informational purposes only and are subject to change without notice. Nothing contained on the UBS website constitutes investment, legal, tax or other advice, nor is to be relied on in making an investment or other decision. You should obtain relevant and specific professional advice before making any investment decision.
The past is not a guide to the future performance of an investment. The value of investments may fall as well as rise and investors may not get back the amount invested. Changes in rates of foreign exchange may cause the value of investment to go up or down.
The levels of and reliefs from taxation may change. Tax reliefs referred to are those currently available and their value depends on the circumstances of the individual investor. Although an investment held within an ISA may be free of further tax to the investor, the fund itself may have incurred other forms of taxation.
- The annual management fees of the funds featured on this website may be charged wholly or partly to the capital of the fund. Where this is the case, whilst it will increase the fund’s yield, it will cause erosion of the capital value and affect the performance of the fund.
- The yield on income funds may vary and you should contact UBS or your financial adviser to obtain up to date figures.
- Some UBS funds may invest in emerging markets, this involves a high degree of risk and should be seen as long term in nature.
- Smaller companies funds may invest in companies which may be less liquid than larger companies and subsequent price swings may be greater as a result.
- Some funds may use derivatives as part of their investment process. Such instruments are inherently volatile and the fund could be potentially exposed to additional risks and costs.
Nothing on the UBS website should be construed as a solicitation or offer, or recommendation, to acquire or dispose of any investment or to engage in any other transaction.
The information and opinions contained on the UBS website is provided without any warranty of any kind, either express or implied.
Limitations of liability
In no event, including (without limitation) negligence, will UBS be liable for any loss or damage of any kind, including (without limitation) any direct, special indirect or consequential damages, even if expressly advised of the possibility of such damages, arising out of or in connection with the access of, use of, performance of, browsing in or linking to other sites from the UBS website.
The UBS Group and/or its directors, officers and employees may have or have had interests or positions or traded or acted as market makers in relevant securities. Furthermore, such entities or persons may have or have had a relationship with or may provide or have provided corporate finance or other services to or serve or have served as directors of relevant companies.
Local legal restrictions
The UBS website is not directed to any person in any jurisdiction where (by reason of that person’s nationality residence or otherwise) the publication or availability of the UBS website is prohibited. Persons in respect of whom such prohibitions apply must not access the UBS website.
Telephone calls to UBS Asset Management may be recorded for your protection.
Information provided by you will be held in confidence by UBS Asset Management Funds Ltd and its properly appointed agents and will not be passed on to other product or service companies. Your information may be used to send you information on other products and services offered by UBS Asset Management, a division and subsidiary of UBS AG. If you prefer not to receive such information please contact UBS Asset Management. The use of your personal information is governed by the Data Protection Act 1998.
All of the material on this UBS website is directed only at UK residents and is not to be regarded as an offer to buy or sell, or the solicitation of any offer to buy or sell securities in any other jurisdiction other than the United Kingdom.
Legal and regulatory information
UBS Asset Management Funds Ltd is the ISA manager and markets unit trust and OEIC products on behalf of UBS Asset Management. The investment manager is UBS Asset Management (UK) Ltd. Both are registered in England, subsidiaries of UBS AG and are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. The registered office of UBS Asset Management is 5 Broadgate, London, EC2M 2QS.