2017 has mostly been a positive year for investors with the bulk of assets posting significantly positive returns year-to-date. Volatility remained low and investors were not faced with the large, swift market swings of previous years.
What does 2018 have in store for investors? Will the economic expansion continue unabated?
The big picture
Erin Browne, Head of Asset Allocation, Investment Solutions
- The global economy is enjoying an unusually broadbased recovery that is accelerating; inflationary pressures remain subdued
- Monetary policy globally remains stimulative - expect developed world central banks to unwind loose monetary policy gradually and carefully
- We see continued support for equities via stronger-than-expected earnings growth and scope for further equity multiple expansion
- Our highest conviction views are positive stances in European and emerging market equities
Positive earnings growth have accelerated globally
Monthly forward earnings (MSCI World) from 2012 – 2017
Strong corporate results, robust demand backdrop have seen earnings growth expectations accelerate in recent months
EM equities: An attractive long-term proposition at current valuations
Geoffrey Wong, Head of Global Emerging Markets and Asia Pacific Equities
- Forecasts suggest earnings growth in emerging markets in 2017 will be strongest since 2010
- EM growth is being driven increasingly by domestic demand and intra EM trade
- Within EM equity markets, secular growth sectors such as IT and consumer are displacing ‘old EM’ commodity sectors
- Growing evidence that some EM economies are moving firmly up the value chain
Sectors like internet and consumption support domestic growth story
MSCI EM sector weights (2007 vs 2017)
What are the other themes explored?
THIS WEBSITE IS NOT INTENDED FOR AND SHOULD NOT BE ACCESSED BY PERSONS LOCATED OR RESIDENT IN ANY JURISDICTION WHERE (BY REASON OF THAT PERSON'S NATIONALITY, DOMICILE, RESIDENCE OR OTHERWISE) THE PUBLICATION OR AVAILABILITY OF THIS WEBSITE IS PROHIBITED OR CONTRARY TO LOCAL LAW OR REGULATION OR WOULD SUBJECT ANY UBS ENTITY TO ANY REGISTRATION OR LICENSING REQUIREMENTS IN SUCH JURISDICTIONS. IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO BE AWARE OF, TO OBTAIN ALL RELEVANT REGULATORY APPROVALS, LICENCES, VERIFICATIONS AND/OR REGISTRATIONS UNDER, AND TO OBSERVE ALL APPLICABLE LAWS AND REGULATIONS OF ANY RELEVANT JURISDICTION IN CONNECTION WITH YOUR ENTRANCE TO THIS WEBSITE. EACH INVESTMENT PRODUCT AND SERVICE REFERRED TO ON THIS WEBSITE IS INTENDED TO BE MADE AVAILABLE ONLY TO RESIDENTS IN SINGAPORE.
UBS RESERVES THE RIGHT TO CHANGE, MODIFY, ADD OR REMOVE CONTENT ON THE WEBSITE AS WELL AS THESE TERMS AT ANY TIME FOR ANY REASON WITHOUT NOTICE. SUCH CHANGES SHALL BE EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY UPON POSTING. YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT BY ACCESSING OUR WEBSITE AFTER WE HAVE POSTED CHANGES TO THESE TERMS, YOU ARE AGREEING TO THESE TERMS AS MODIFIED.