By David Hirst, Head of Real Estate & Private Markets (REPM) Sustainability Workgroup
Environmental services – Saubermacher – Graz, Austria
Ranked #1 in Environmental Services for the second year running, in the 2019 GRESB Assessment
Accessing the opportunities these challenges provide
At UBS Asset Management, we find investment opportunities with innovative companies delivering solutions to the world’s most pressing sustainability challenges.
Saubermacher is one of them. Saubermacher is a leading European waste manager providing collection, treatment, recycling and disposal of municipal, commercial, industrial and hazardous waste in Austria, Hungary, Slovenia, and the Czech Republic.
We have acquired a 28% stake in this company.
The business is one of the leading battery recyclers in Europe and pursues the concept of "Zero Waste" recycling of waste, aiming to reduce total waste material to zero.
This avoids approximately 400,000 tons of CO2 emission each year − 282,000 tons of avoided CO2 has come from refuse derived fuels.
The company invests heavily in research and development to produce new innovations in hazardous waste treatment and the recycling and reuse of batteries, particularly lithium batteries.
Full service in the entire value-added chain of waste
- ISCC (International Sustainability & Carbon Certification),
- ISO9001 (Quality Management System), ISO14001 (Environmental Management System),
- OHSAS 18001 (Occupational Health and Safety), work and family (Family & Work Life Balance) and the Austrian National Coat of Arms
- TRIGOS Styria 2019 in the category climate protection
- Four separate awards as one of the best rated employers in Austria in 2018/19
- Waste management is vital for global sustainable development
- A key business factor for an increasing number of companies - waste management provides excellent opportunities in science, technology and engineering, humanities, business studies and IT and is a powerful catalyst for economic growth
- Addressing an enormous challenge humankind faces enabling investors to support the UN Sustainable Development goals.
Information contained herein is for informational purposes only and does not constitute investment advice or a recommendation to invest in any strategy or securities nor does it take into account the particular investment objectives, financial situations, or needs of any individual prospective investor. Investors should seek professional investment and tax advice.
Real Assets Insights
The role of real assets
Find out how sustainable investing is driving the real estate industry