- Stock Connect has changed China equity investing for the better.
- It started on November 17th, 2014 with the Hong Kong Shanghai Stock Connect.
- Stock Connect linked international investors with the Shanghai Stock Exchange via Hong Kong as well as allowing Shanghai investors to allocate to stocks on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange.
- Stock Connect was extended to link the Hong Kong Stock Exchange and Shenzhen Stock Exchange on December 5th 2016.
- To date, the program has brought more than USD 110bn of overseas capital into China's A-share markets, according to Bloomberg data.
- Also, the improved access from Stock Connect was a key reason why China A-shares were included in the MSCI equity benchmarks from June 2018.
- Many years ago, China stocks were divided between onshore stocks, i.e. listed in mainland China, and offshore stocks, i.e. listed in Hong Kong or US markets.
- Now, we believe the success of Stock Connect means the distinction between onshore and offshore China equities has disappeared.
- Instead, we believe that investors should look at China equities from an All China perspective, i.e. investing according to wherever the best opportunities are, not because of where they are located.
- And we believe that's why Stock Connect has changed China equity investing for the better.
Equity investments from a global player
Views and opinions expressed are presented for informational purposes only and are a reflection of UBS Asset Management’s best judgment at the time a report or other content was compiled. UBS specifically prohibits the redistribution or reproduction of this material in whole or in part without the prior written permission of UBS and UBS accepts no liability whatsoever for the actions of third parties in this respect. The information and opinions contained in the content of this webpage have been compiled or arrived at based upon information obtained from sources believed to be reliable and in good faith but no responsibility is accepted for any errors or omissions. All such information and opinions are subject to change without notice but any obligation to update or alter forward-looking statement as a result of new information, future events, or otherwise is disclaimed. Source for all data/charts, if not stated otherwise: UBS Asset Management.
Any market or investment views expressed are not intended to be investment research. Materials have not been prepared to address requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research and are not subject to any prohibition on dealing ahead of the dissemination of investment research. The information contained in this webpage does not constitute a distribution, nor should it be considered a recommendation to purchase or sell any particular security or fund. The materials and content provided will not constitute investment advice and should not be relied upon as the basis for investment decisions. As individual situations may differ, clients should seek independent professional tax, legal, accounting or other specialist advisors as to the legal and tax implication of investing. Plan fiduciaries should determine whether an investment program is prudent in light of a plan's own circumstances and overall portfolio. A number of the comments in the content of this webpage are considered forward-looking statements. Actual future results, however, may vary materially. Past performance is no guarantee of future results. Potential for profit is accompanied by possibility of loss.
© UBS 2020 The key symbol and UBS are among the registered and unregistered trademarks of UBS.