Kerosene lamps are used by over one billion people without electricity and millions more with unreliable supply. However these lamps are expensive, dangerous and polluting:
- consuming up to 25% of a families income, ongoing
- causing eye irritations, cataracts and respiratory diseases
- causing burns and fires
- emitting 150kg CO2 / lamp p/a and black carbon, with an intense, localised warming effect
GravityLight aims to eliminate kerosene lamps.
GravityLight is a unique off-grid light that generates instant power with the lift of a weight: a bag of rocks or sand.
GravityLight is unique as it has no batteries – enabling it to be stored long-term and avoiding battery toxic waste. It works independently of the sun – providing a year-round, universal solution.
GravityLight produces an ambient light as well as powering a string of up to 4 'SatLights' providing flexible, task lighting around a home. It can also power a radio.
Replacing kerosene lamps starts a positive cycle of benefits:
- paying for itself within around four months, saving families money
- increasing ‘light hours’, enabling work and study
- improving health and safety
- eliminating carbon emissions