Our financial strength and the resilience of our business model are well recognized by the market.
This matters more than ever in times of market stress.
Our firm is proving its strength and delivering successfully to clients in the
current public health and economic shocks, said Group CFO Kirt Gardner
at the Morgan Stanley Conference in March.
Our key priorities are to safeguard the wellbeing of our employees, serve
our clients and ensure operational continuity in the current situation, he
said. We are looking to use our resources to support individuals, Swiss
small businesses and our clients globally at this difficult time – all within
our broader responsibility to stakeholders.
Here's what you should know
- Capital strength is a pillar of our strategy. In 2011/2012 we initiated a
strategic transformation of our firm towards a client-centric business
model that focuses on our core businesses with less risk-taking.
- Since 2012, UBS has increased its CET1 capital by a third to nearly 36
billion and with around 90 billion in total loss absorbing capacity,
building a strong capital position and a balance sheet that is for all
- Our financial strength is reflected in top-class ratings from the major
credit rating agencies.
- Our resilience is further supported by a highly capital-generative
franchises, as we delivered nearly 5 billion in CET1 capital (before
buybacks and dividends) in 2019 alone.
- We've shown over the past that our business model performs well
even in very challenging market conditions.
- We have a conservative risk and funding profile, a highly liquid
balance sheet and a high quality credit portfolio with relatively limited
lending exposure to highly impacted industries. All this makes us well
prepared for this environment.
- We have repeatedly passed stress tests and continue to lend to
individuals and businesses across our franchises, facilitating
investments to fuel the economy.
- We understand our role in society very well in these challenging times
and are committed to using our significant resources to provide
support to our clients and the broader economy.
Find out more
See what our CFO Kirt
Gardner had to say about
our business priorities and
sustainability drive -
among many other topics -
during his presentation to
the Morgan Stanley
Conference 2020 in March
Watch a short video on
the Too Big To Fail
measures UBS took in