UBS Evidence Lab has compiled data on a number of topics related to the COVID-19 pandemic and its impact across various segments of society and sectors of the market.
This fact pack , published 24 March 2020, includes data on:
Coronavirus: Is activity recovering in China?
- Movement of people between provinces in China fell sharply in January vs. a year earlier but has been recovering gradually.
- Movement within Shanghai has increased by more than 2.5x since the first working day after Chinese New Year (CNY).
How are Coronavirus-related Google searches trending?
- Search activity has typically increased before cases are officially reported in each country.
- Search activity for the virus is now highest in Europe, but the US is increasing toward similar levels. This contrasts with geographies in Asia such as Singapore and Hong Kong, where the initial increase in searches was muted and soon leveled out.
Which industries are discussing Coronavirus most?
- Manufacturing sector earnings calls had the most mentions of COVID-19. Soap and other cleaning products were also high on the list.
- In the retail and entertainment categories, mentions of COVID-19 increased relative to earlier in the quarter.
Which consumer goods brands are most popular on Amazon?
- In the US, Amazon has the top-selling brand in the baby wipes category.
Which companies are most geographically exposed?
- Stop & Shop has the highest percentage of US locations in the hardest-hit regions*, with nearly 60% of its locations there.
- Kroger's Discount Grocery concepts (37%) and Whole Foods (34%) have the No. 2 and No. 3 highest exposures.
How have UK mortgage rates been affected?
- Barclays UK's interest rate for mortgages with a 90% LTV ratio increased from 1.8% to 2.2% between December 2019 and February 2020.
How are fuel prices in China being affected?
- The highest price of #92 gasoline across all fuel retailers in Shandong Province is down 7% YoY.
How might US hospitals' surgery volumes be affected?
- The US Hospital Admittance Monitor can help track the impact of COVID-19 on hospital volumes, measuring YoY change for 17 measures across 12 states.
Click here for the full fact pack which includes more details on each of these topics, relevant data sets, and charts.
UBS Evidence Lab is a sell-side team of experts, independent of UBS Research, that work across 45 specialized labs creating insight-ready datasets. The experts turn data into evidence by applying a combination of tools and techniques to harvest, cleanse, and connect billions of data items each month. The library of assets, covering over 4000+ companies of all sizes, across all sectors and regions, is designed to help investors answer the questions that matter to their investment analysis.
* As of early March, high-exposure metropolitan areas included Boston-Cambridge-Newton, MA-NH, Colorado Springs, CO, Denver-Aurora-Lakewood, CO, Houston-The Woodlands-Sugar Land, TX, Los Angeles-Long Beach-Anaheim, CA, New York-Newark-Jersey City, NY-NJ-PA, Omaha- Council Bluffs, NE-IA, San Antonio-New Braunfels, TX, San Francisco-Oakland-Hayward, CA, Seattle-Tacoma-Bellevue, WA