Timely action can change the course of a disease outbreak, and potentially even stop it from evolving.
- BlueDot protects people around the world from infectious diseases, by combining medical expertise with advanced data analytics to track and anticipate disease risks.
- Kamran Khan studied infectious diseases, preventative medicine and public health in the US and returned to Toronto just before the city was crippled by SARS in 2003. This motivated him to find solutions to prepare for and respond to future disease threats.
- In 2013, Dr. Khan set up BlueDot, which uses AI to gather and process data, spot clusters, and identify risk levels in a scalable way. For example, on 31 December 2019, the engine picked up a Chinese article about a pneumonia outbreak of unknown cause in Wuhan; the system analysed flight schedules to identify many of the cities outside mainland China that later confirmed cases of Covid-191.
- BlueDot helped the World Health Organization locate treatment centres during the 2014 Ebola outbreak in West Africa, and predicted the Zika outbreak in Florida six months before it began and before it was declared a global public health emergency2.
- BlueDot has partnered with the Canadian government3 and the state of California4, and has been recognized by media ranging from The Wall Street Journal5, Wired Magazine6 to 60 Minutes7.
This material is for informational and educational purposes only and should not be relied upon as investment advice or the basis for making any investment decisions. It is not intended to be regarded as investment research, a sales prospectus, as an offer, or a solicitation of an offer, to buy or sell any product or other specific service. The views and opinions expressed in this material are those of the respective speakers/authors and may differ or be contrary to opinions expressed by UBS Switzerland AG, its subsidiaries or affiliates ("UBS"). Neither UBS nor any of its directors, officers, employees or agents accepts any liability for any loss or damage arising out of the use of all or any part of this material or reliance upon any information contained or provided herein. The information and data presented by the speaker/author may be deemed reliable; however, their accuracy and completeness is not guaranteed or verified by UBS and providing you with this information is not to be considered a solicitation with respect to the purchase or sale of any securities, investments, strategies or products that may be mentioned. The information, data and any opinions expressed in this material are current as of the date of publication of this material and are subject to change without notice. UBS is under no obligation to update or keep current the information contained in this material. The viewer/reader should not construe the contents of this material as legal, tax, accounting, regulatory, or other specialist or technical advice or services, or investment advice or a personal recommendation or a substitute for the exercise of his/her own judgment. Viewers/readers should refer to their own professional advisors and consultants for advice.
As a firm providing wealth management services to clients, UBS Financial Services Inc. offers investment advisory services in its capacity as an SEC-registered investment adviser and brokerage services in its capacity as an SEC-registered broker-dealer. Investment advisory services and brokerage services are separate and distinct, differ in material ways and are governed by different laws and separate arrangements. It is important that clients understand the ways in which we conduct business, that they carefully read the agreements and disclosures that we provide to them about the products or services we offer. For more information, please review the PDF document at ubs.com/relationshipsummary.
No affiliation, association, sponsorship or endorsement is suggested or implied by UBS to any person, entity, company or organization appearing, featured or mentioned in this material.
UBS specifically prohibits the redistribution or reproduction of this material in whole or in part without the prior written permission of UBS. UBS accepts no liability whatsoever for any claims or lawsuits from any third parties arising from the use or distribution of this material.
USA: Distributed to US persons by UBS Financial Services Inc., a subsidiary of UBS AG and a member of FINRA/SIPC. UBS Securities LLC is a subsidiary of UBS AG and an affiliate of UBS Financial Services Inc.
© UBS 2021. The key symbol and UBS are among the registered and unregistered trademarks of UBS. All rights reserved.
BlueDot works towards these UN Sustainable Development Goals:
Other Global Visionaries you might find interesting:
Or you can view and select from all of our Global Visionaries