IPE is dedicated to biodiversity conservation through science.
- IPE - Instituto de Pesquisas Ecologicas (Institute for Ecological Research) is one of the largest environmental NGOs in Brazil with more than 100 team members working in the Atlantic Forest, Amazon, Pantanal and Cerrado. Projects include: protecting endangered species; planting corridors to link forest fragments; and water protection.
- IPE was founded after Suzana's husband Claudio started research in 1978 to protect the black lion tamarin, an endangered monkey species. Realising that conservation needed the support of communities, Suzana began her environmental education work. She later established an environment and sustainability school (ESCAS) which has trained more than 6,000 students since 1996, with more than 140 having received MSc diplomas.
- IPE has also collaborated with corporations such as Havaianas (flip flops); Faber Castel (art supplies) and food giant Danone. Partnerships models include offsetting carbon emissions and cause-related marketing.
- On average, IPE reaches more than ten-thousand people per year; to date, it has supported more than 200 Amazon families and more than 400 in the Atlantic Forest with sustainable production, and planted more than three-million trees.
- Suzana is an Ashoka fellow1, a scholar of the Education for Nature (WWF), and, along with Claudio, a Schwab Foundation Social Entrepreneur2 and one of Time Magazine's Heroes of the Planet3. She has also given a well-received TEDx talk in Sao Paulo, Brazil4.
This material is for informational and educational purposes only and should not be relied upon as investment advice or the basis for making any investment decisions. It is not intended to be regarded as investment research, a sales prospectus, as an offer, or a solicitation of an offer, to buy or sell any product or other specific service. The views and opinions expressed in this material are those of the respective speakers/authors and may differ or be contrary to opinions expressed by UBS Switzerland AG, its subsidiaries or affiliates ("UBS"). Neither UBS nor any of its directors, officers, employees or agents accepts any liability for any loss or damage arising out of the use of all or any part of this material or reliance upon any information contained or provided herein. The information and data presented by the speaker/author may be deemed reliable; however, their accuracy and completeness is not guaranteed or verified by UBS and providing you with this information is not to be considered a solicitation with respect to the purchase or sale of any securities, investments, strategies or products that may be mentioned. The information, data and any opinions expressed in this material are current as of the date of publication of this material and are subject to change without notice. UBS is under no obligation to update or keep current the information contained in this material. The viewer/reader should not construe the contents of this material as legal, tax, accounting, regulatory, or other specialist or technical advice or services, or investment advice or a personal recommendation or a substitute for the exercise of his/her own judgment. Viewers/readers should refer to their own professional advisors and consultants for advice.
As a firm providing wealth management services to clients, UBS Financial Services Inc. offers investment advisory services in its capacity as an SEC-registered investment adviser and brokerage services in its capacity as an SEC-registered broker-dealer. Investment advisory services and brokerage services are separate and distinct, differ in material ways and are governed by different laws and separate arrangements. It is important that clients understand the ways in which we conduct business, that they carefully read the agreements and disclosures that we provide to them about the products or services we offer. For more information, please review the PDF document at ubs.com/relationshipsummary.
No affiliation, association, sponsorship or endorsement is suggested or implied by UBS to any person, entity, company or organization appearing, featured or mentioned in this material.
UBS specifically prohibits the redistribution or reproduction of this material in whole or in part without the prior written permission of UBS. UBS accepts no liability whatsoever for any claims or lawsuits from any third parties arising from the use or distribution of this material.
USA: Distributed to US persons by UBS Financial Services Inc., a subsidiary of UBS AG and a member of FINRA/SIPC. UBS Securities LLC is a subsidiary of UBS AG and an affiliate of UBS Financial Services Inc.
© UBS 2021. The key symbol and UBS are among the registered and unregistered trademarks of UBS. All rights reserved.
Other Global Visionaries you might find interesting:
Or you can view and select from all of our Global Visionaries