Access to electricity is critical for a remote village, but flexibility and profitability of energy usage lead to sustainable development.
- SOLshare allows people to buy energy or monetize their excess solar power via smart peer-to-peer grids.
- Sebastian says he was inspired to create the 'AirBnB of the energy access world' after realising that Bangladesh had almost five million home solar systems while many households did not have affordable, clean energy.
- SOLshare currently has 21 operational microgrids in Bangladesh, and has started its first installations in Assam, India. As well as energy trading, there are indirect economic gains as women can keep working and children can study after sunset.
- SOLshare has partnered with organisations including Grameen Shakti, Telefonica; TATA, Energias de Portugal; and TEPCO.
- Sebastian is one of Ashoka's 'Leading Social Entrepreneurs' and a Stanford Business School Ignite Fellow; while SOLshare has received an accolade from the World Economic Forum, and the UN's $1m Powering the Future We Want Award.
This material is for informational and educational purposes only and should not be relied upon as investment advice or the basis for making any investment decisions. It is not intended to be regarded as investment research, a sales prospectus, as an offer, or a solicitation of an offer, to buy or sell any product or other specific service. The views and opinions expressed in this material are those of the respective speakers/authors and are not necessarily those of UBS Switzerland AG, its subsidiaries or affiliates ("UBS").
Neither UBS nor any of its directors, officers, employees or agents accepts any liability for any loss or damage arising out of the use of all or any part of this material or reliance upon any information contained or provided herein. The information and data presented by the speaker/author may be deemed reliable; however, their accuracy and completeness is not guaranteed or verified by UBS and providing you with this information is not to be considered a solicitation with respect to the purchase or sale of any securities, investments, strategies or products that may be mentioned. The information, data and any opinions expressed in this material are current as of the date of publication of this material, are subject to change without notice and may differ or be contrary to opinions expressed by UBS. UBS is under no obligation to update or keep current the information contained in this material. The viewer/reader should not construe the contents of this material as legal, tax, accounting, regulatory, or other specialist or technical advice or services, or investment advice or a personal recommendation or a substitute for the exercise of his/her own judgment. Viewers/readers should refer to their own professional advisors and consultants for specialist or technical advice or services.
In providing wealth management services to clients, we offer both investment advisory and brokerage services which are separate and distinct and differ in material ways. For information, including the different laws and contracts that govern, visit ubs.com/workingwithus.
No affiliation, association, sponsorship or endorsement is suggested or implied by UBS to any person, entity, company or organization appearing, featured or mentioned in this material.
UBS specifically prohibits the redistribution or reproduction of this material in whole or in part without the prior written permission of UBS. UBS accepts no liability whatsoever for any claims or lawsuits from any third parties arising from the use or distribution of this material.
USA: Distributed to US persons by UBS Financial Services Inc., a subsidiary of UBS AG and a member of FINRA/SIPC. UBS Securities LLC is a subsidiary of UBS AG and an affiliate of UBS Financial Services Inc.
© UBS 2019. The key symbol and UBS are among the registered and unregistered trademarks of UBS. All rights reserved.
The use of the SDG logo, including the color wheel, and icons by an entity does not imply the endorsement of the United Nations of such entity, its products or services, or of its planned activities.
The SDG logo, including the color wheel, and icons may not be reproduced for the purpose of self-promotion, or for obtaining any commercial or personal financial gain.
SOLshare works towards these UN Sustainable Development Goals:
Sebastian Groh's updates:
Other Global Visionaries you might find interesting:
Or you can view and select from all of our Global Visionaries