Feed the world and save the planet: nothing short of this endgame is worth striving for.
- Tristram is an official UN Champion for Sustainable Development Goal 12.3 - to halve food waste by 2030.
- He set up Feedback to catalyse change after calculating that one-third of the world's food was wasted – that is 1.3 billion tonnes or enough to feed three billion people.
- He says much of the waste is down to supermarkets' cosmetic standards, for example binning mis-shapen fruit and vegetable or trimming green beans.
- In 2009, Feedback fed 5,000 people in London with food that would have gone to waste, raising public awareness and resulting in policy changes from the UK government and supermarkets; this model has been replicated in 45 cities worldwide.
- In 2016, he launched the for-profit Toast Ale which turns surplus bread into award-winning beer and pours its profits into Feedback and aligned charities.
Feedback works towards this UN Sustainable Development Goals:
Tristram Stuart's updates:
Other Global Visionaries you might find interesting:
Or you can view and select from all of our Global Visionaries