There is a real risk that by 2050 over a half of the coral reefs we have today will disappear.
- Nishan is chairman of the World Economic Forum's Ocean Special Initiative, which focuses on issues such as: seafood traceability; the consequences of deep-sea mining; and encouraging entrepreneurship in ocean conservation.
- Oceans comprise 99% of the planet's living space by volume and have absorbed 93% of global warming heat generated in the past 150 years.
- Nishan's day-to-day role is at the Ocean4IR Initiative which brings together private and public stakeholders to build technology solutions for the oceans leveraging satellite, bio tech and big data.
- Ocean4IR is developing pilots to ensure 30% of the oceans are marine protected areas and that tools exist to enforce this via seafood traceability.
- Successes include securing the world’s largest private sector agreement to safeguard oceans, as part of the UN Declaration on Tuna Traceability, and the creation of a Special Envoy for the Ocean – the first time the UN Secretary General has done so.
WEF Ocean Special Initiative works towards these UN Sustainable Development Goals:
Nishan Degnarain's updates:
Other Global Visionaries you might find interesting:
Or you can view and select from all of our Global Visionaries