Our mission is to build and advocate for architecture that promotes justice and human dignity.
- MASS Design Group is a non-profit that uses the building process to maximize social and economic impacts and preserve the environment.
- For example, when cholera emerged following Haiti's 2010 earthquake, MASS helped build a permanent medical centre that incorporated a wastewater treatment facility to stop recontamination and the spread of the disease.
- Alan was inspired to set up MASS after voluntary work to design and build a hospital in Rwanda; he learnt that the country had fewer than 10 architects, with the entire African continent having a quarter of the number in Italy alone.
- MASS has made 20 buildings so far, used by more than 225,000 people. Two-hundred more are under construction, including hospitals and universities, across Africa and north America.
- Alan is a WEF Young Global Leader and has given an acclaimed TED talk. He and MASS have received various accoldes, including the 2018 National Design Award for Architecture from the Cooper Hewitt, Smithsonian Design Museum.
Mass Design Group works towards these UN Sustainable Development Goals:
Other Global Visionaries you might find interesting:
Or you can view and select from all of our Global Visionaries