- In total, 54% of Japanese believe the pandemic will continue into 2021 or don't have a clear idea about the end date. Only 46% anticipate their life will get back to normal in 2020.
- Only 5% of respondents expect their financial situation to get better in the next 12 months, while 60% expect it to get worse.
- There is hardly any difference between families of different income levels in terms of financial outlook for the coming year.
- Around one-third of respondents are spending less at the moment but expect to get back to normal once the pandemic ends.
- Japanese consumers currently prefer drinking at home over drinking at bars or restaurants.
- They intend to spend less on apparels and durables.
When do you think your life will get back to normal?
Expected change in financial situation in the next 12 months by annual household income
How has Covid-19 affected your spending and planned purchases?
Change in category consumption or spending in the coming months vs. now