- In Sweden, which has enacted few social distancing restrictions, public transit ridership has declined less than in the rest of Europe.
- Countries particularly hard hit – such as France, Italy, and Spain – have seen the sharpest declines.
- Google search interest in unemployment rose rapidly in mid-March across Europe but has since fallen.
- Italy was the first European country to see a high number of cases, and its unemployment search surged earlier.
- Germany continues to have among the lowest unemployment search activity, while the UK has the highest.
- In Switzerland, search interest in unemployment appears to have preceded the number of reported cases of Covid-19.
Use of public transit in Europe vs. 15-Jan-20
Google search interest for unemployment in Europe
Search interest for Covid-19 vs. daily cases in Switzerland