In 1959 Hans Arp (1886 - 1966) and his second wife Marguerite Arp-Hagenbach (1902 - 1994) purchased a residence-cum-studio in Locarno where the renowned painter, sculptor, and poet lived and worked until his death. It is here that his widow established the foundation that bears her name, comprising a collection of 1,600 works of art, the majority of them by Hans Arp and his first wife, Sophie Taeuber-Arp. The legacy of this famous artist couple includes mainly works on paper such as watercolors, collages, prints and artist’s books. Since recently the collection has been transferred to a new building designed by the Zurich architectural office Gigon/Guyer where the works can be stored according to modern standards and accessed in parts by the public. At the same time the foundation launched a comprehensive restoration and conservation project with the aim of fully restoring roughly 1400 works. The project also involves further archival material such as preserved typescripts containing unpublished poems by Hans Arp as well as historical photographs on the life and work of the artist and his entourage.
The Foundation Board awards a project grant of CHF 15000 in support of the foundation’s ambitious project to safeguard an artistic legacy that is of great significance for the history of modern art.