The origins of the little chapel located between Saint-Jean and Grimentz in the Canton Valais trace back to the thirteenth century, although first mention as part of local hamlet only date from 1429. By then, Theodul, the first Bishop of Sion in the fourth century, was already regarded as the patron saint of the diocese and the people of the Valais in general. The chapel, one of a group of three referred to as “Trois Frères”, is a significant place of pilgrimage. The picturesquely situated chapel is actually regarded as the saint’s major symbol in the mountains of the Valais. Although the building was already subject to maintenance work in the second half of the last century, snow and moisture have again seriously affected the chapel’s roof and walls, so that the municipality of Grimentz decided in 2010 to have the chapel restored completely, including the building’s interior and the beautiful Baroque retable. In collaboration with the appropriate cantonal authorities and with the help of public and private funding, restoration work began in October 2012 and will hopefully be completed by July 2014.
Upon application by the municipality of Grimentz, the Foundation Board decided to support the restoration of this chapel whose cultural-historical significance reaches far beyond the local district with a project grant of CHF 10,000.