Facts and figures on the Swiss financial sector
The Swiss banking sector has grown twice as fast as the economy overall in the past 20 years. During this time it has generated a third of Switzerland’s entire GDP growth.
- Together, Switzerland's two major banks issue 31% of unsecured loans in Switzerland and grant companies around 38% of secured loans.
- 90% of the outstanding corporate loan volume at the end of 2015 was allocated to small and medium-sized businesses.
The financial sector generates around one tenth of the economic value created in Switzerland and contributes two to three times as much to national value creation as financial sectors in comparable European countries.
- It is estimated that the financial sector was responsible for around CHF 20 billion of additional value creation in 2015, with orders to the industrial and service sectors.
- Overall, the financial sector therefore contributed CHF 80 billion or around 13% to the GDP of Switzerland.
More than 50% of the assets that are managed in Switzerland belong to clients abroad.
- The 20 largest asset managers include five Swiss banks.
- At the end of 2015, banks in Switzerland managed total assets of CHF 6,567 billion.