UBS Asset Management Investment Solutions
Our five-year (2019-2024) expectations in brief
UBS Asset Management’s Investment Solutions team conducts ongoing macroeconomic research to develop our baseline five- and 10-year return expectations. Drawing on the breadth and depth of expertise provided by more than 100 professionals and an over-36-year asset management track record, our capital market expectations quantify risk/return expectations for a broad set of asset classes, incorporate current market and economic conditions and provide a key component for modeling a portfolio’s strategic asset allocation.
- As global growth slows, our five-year return expectations are adjusted downward for most developed-market assets, while our expectations are increased for some emerging markets
- Over the next five years, we expect average annual global growth of 2.8% and average global inflation of 2.3%
- Real growth on average should be slightly lower than in the previous decade
- US equities are overvalued and we expect mid-single digit returns
- Most non-US markets are fairly valued or undervalued. We expect high single digit returns
- With negative nominal yields still predominant in many developed markets, we expect very low fixed income returns. For many markets, investors should prepare for negative nominal returns
- For the next few years, we have lower expectations for unlevered real estate
- For US private equity we expect returns in the high single digits, but not on par with some of the touted returns of the past. We expect unhedged global private equity to outperform the US
Special topic: Chinese financial markets
- As China continues its rapid transition from an emerging to a developed market, we believe that Chinese equities and fixed income will continue to offer investors unique opportunities
Views and opinions expressed are presented for informational purposes only and are a reflection of UBS Asset Management’s best judgment at the time a report or other content was compiled. UBS specifically prohibits the redistribution or reproduction of this material in whole or in part without the prior written permission of UBS and UBS accepts no liability whatsoever for the actions of third parties in this respect. The information and opinions contained in the content of this webpage have been compiled or arrived at based upon information obtained from sources believed to be reliable and in good faith but no responsibility is accepted for any errors or omissions. All such information and opinions are subject to change without notice but any obligation to update or alter forward-looking statement as a result of new information, future events, or otherwise is disclaimed. Source for all data/charts, if not stated otherwise: UBS Asset Management.
Any market or investment views expressed are not intended to be investment research. Materials have not been prepared to address requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research and are not subject to any prohibition on dealing ahead of the dissemination of investment research. The information contained in this webpage does not constitute a distribution, nor should it be considered a recommendation to purchase or sell any particular security or fund. The materials and content provided will not constitute investment advice and should not be relied upon as the basis for investment decisions. As individual situations may differ, clients should seek independent professional tax, legal, accounting or other specialist advisors as to the legal and tax implication of investing. Plan fiduciaries should determine whether an investment program is prudent in light of a plan's own circumstances and overall portfolio. A number of the comments in the content of this webpage are considered forward-looking statements. Actual future results, however, may vary materially. Past performance is no guarantee of future results. Potential for profit is accompanied by possibility of loss.
© UBS 2021 The key symbol and UBS are among the registered and unregistered trademarks of UBS.